Let’s discuss reiki, and all it’s beautiful healing powers…
First things first, what is reiki?
Reiki is an ancient healing art from Tibet that was rediscovered in Japan by Dr. Mikao Usui in the late 1800s.
Reiki can be described in three forms: reiki as a word, reiki as an energy, and reiki as a holistic healing system…
The word “reiki” (pronounced RAY KEE) is a Japanese word which is translated as “universal life-force energy”. It has also been translated as “spiritual energy” or “soul energy”.
-Reiki as an energy works on the life sustaining energy which travels and flows throughout the human body (and through all living things), as well as flowing beyond the physical body into an external energy field called an aura. This vital energy is known as “Ki” (the second half of the word reiki) and has also been described as “chi” in China or “prana” from India. The Ki vibrates at a high and fast frequency, making it difficult to see with the naked eye. However, it can be detected by different types of electromagnetic equipment. Since the spiritual energy of Reiki is a higher and faster vibration then Ki, it is able to move through every part of the human energy field, break through energetic blockages and promote healing.
-Finally, reiki can be described as a holistic healing system because it affects the whole person (body, mind & spirit). Reiki is not a religion or belief system, nor is it a “cure” for any particular conditions. However, reiki is a natural energy that supports and enhances healing. A reiki practitioner has received attunements which allow them to channel this energy down through their crown chakra (at the top of the head) and out through their hands.
What to expect from a reiki treatment:
- Throughout a reiki treatment, the recipient remains fully clothed whilst lying on a massage table or sitting in a chair and relaxing.
- There is no need for the recipient to “force themselves” to relax. Go ahead and let your mind wander, daydream, or let your mind go blank. Some people prefer to fall into a meditative state or even to fall asleep. Feel free to do any of the above!
- The reiki practitioner will then gently place their hands on or near the body in a series of positions to channel the reiki energy into the recipient.
- Reiki treatments are subjective, changeable and sometimes very subtle. Recipients may experience warmth or tingling throughout the body, although some receive no physical sensations besides feeling pleasant, calm and relaxed.
- The recipient can feel free to adjust their position at any time if they become uncomfortable.
- Emotional releases are very common and also encouraged during a reiki session! Do not be afraid to show emotion, allow yourself to feel these emotions as they are being released.
- Body shakes or muscle jerks can also occur. Again, this is simply the release of blocked or stagnant energy.
- On average, reiki sessions last anywhere from forty minutes to one hour. The practitioner will let you know when the session is over and the recipient is encouraged to take their time sitting or standing up.
- At the end of the session, both the recipient and the practitioner can take time to discuss their experiences.
What are the benefits of reiki treatment?
As discussed, reiki treatments assist in healing on the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual level. Reiki treatments encourage deep relaxation and create a sense of well-being.
Most importantly, reiki energy supports and increases our body’s own innate healing abilities.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of receiving reiki:
- Supports and accelerates the body’s own natural ability to heal itself
- Rids the body of toxins
- Works on causal levels of dis-ease (alleviates pain and tension)
- Aids in healing and cleansing
- Increases awareness
- Helps the recipient develop a greater awareness of their body’s needs
- Develops a greater sensitivity for the energy of others and ourselves
- Enhances intuitive abilities
- Improved digestion
- Balances and amplifies energy
- Increases creativity and motivation
- Helps release negative or stagnant emotions
- Promotes positive qualities of loving, trust, goodwill, understanding, and acceptance
- Relieves stress
- Aids in better sleep
- Grows self-confidence and encourages the recipient to pursue their own personal potential through greater self-awareness
- Enhances our compassion and empathy towards others
- Encourages responsibility for one’s own life and being
- Helps the recipient to accept and love their whole self
Should you expect any adverse effects from reiki treatment?
During a reiki treatment, negative energies and blockages are released from the body. This includes the release of toxins stored in the body. As with all bodily toxin release, these toxins travel to the kidneys and liver for filtration before being “disposed of”. In cases of extreme toxin build up in the body, some recipients may feel slight weakness, tiredness, headache, discomfort in the stomach, or diarrhea. These effects are not common and are not serious. This simply means that your body is releasing toxins stored inside.
It is advised to have a good rest after reiki treatment, as well as to drink plenty of water and to eat healthfully to assist the internal bodily system in releasing toxins.
Be assured that you will leave feeling rested, relaxed, peaceful, and with an increased sense of love towards yourself and others. At the very least, you’ll have spent an hour de-stressing… And who doesn’t need that in today’s world?
More questions about reiki? Feel free to contact me here!